Lexus LX 700h Active Height Control (AHC) Suspension

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I needed to familiarize myself with the suspension that the LX 700h will come equipped with, so I decided to look into it and post my findings here for others with the same question.

From the LX 700h press release:

Active Height Control (AHC) and Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS): To ensure a seamless balance between off-road drivability and on-road handling stability, the LX utilizes AHC and AVS – both now standard across the LX lineup. This system provides improved grip, traction, and control as well as a sense of strength and security.

More information about this system from the LX 600 press release:

ACTIVE HEIGHT CONTROL (AHC) SUSPENSION AND ADAPTIVE VARIABLE SUSPENSION (AVS)

The AHC suspension, which allows the ride height to be adjusted according to the driving environment, comes with a range of ride height positions. While ride height is adjusted through the use of shock absorbers, gas and hydraulic springs and metal springs, a spring rate switching device is used for the rear wheels as well, reducing the time needed to adjust ride height. There are three settings for vehicle height while the vehicle is in motion (Normal, Hi1 and Hi2) and a Low setting for passenger ingress and egress.

The system automatically adjusts vehicle height depending on the activation of Drive Mode Select or Multi-Terrain Select and the selection status of the transfer case. Ride height status can be displayed not only on the gauge panel but also on the 7-inch touch display. Additionally, AHC not only adjusts the vehicle height but also responds to changes in vehicle posture, such as the amount of pitch and roll, and it stabilizes vehicle posture during turning, acceleration and deceleration by optimizing the spring rate as needed.

The suspension automatically adjusts to Hi1 or Hi2 in line with the road environment in coordination with the transfer case being in the L4 range or with the mode selected during the use of Multi-Terrain Select. When Hi1 or Hi2 is selected, the system automatically adjusts the vehicle height according to the vehicle’s speed to help avoid interference with the road surface and improve handling stability.

The springs are softened to help provide a comfortable ride when overcoming bumps during in-town driving and are stiffened to help ensure a flat and stable ride when going around curves. An added benefit: vehicle height automatically adjusts when the vehicle is in motion, and when at a standstill, lowers for easier passenger ingress and egress.

Changing to a linear solenoid valve system offers excellent damping force switching response, providing intricate and smooth control depending on the road surface and driving conditions.

Back